[Dshield] Strange Windows Behavior

David Taylor ltr at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 24 09:48:17 GMT 2007

You could always try and boot from a Knoppix CD and look at the files in the
Windows, System and System32 directories. We use HELIX which has a bunch of
forensics tools included.  http://www.e-fense.com/helix/

A few other things you might try.

Perform a full nmap scan from a remote machine and then do a netstat -nao on
the problem machine and compare the results.  If a port shows up on the nmap
that isn't showing up locally it may indicate something hiding.

Use REG.Exe to remotely enumerate 'run' section of the registry.

reg query \\ip\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\currentversion\run

You can also try connecting to the system with 'computer manager' and
enumerate the services remotely.

A lot of rootkits don't seem to hide from remote enumeration for the most
part.

Also try LADS to search for Alternative Data Streams
http://www.heysoft.de/nt/ep-lads.htm