[Dshield] Pump and Dump Stock lists

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Sat Jan 27 01:52:26 GMT 2007

Shawn Cox wrote, on 26. jan 2007 20:37:

> The PnD stock spams are by far my worst offenders.  I have most all of the
> drug and enhancement spam under control, but these stock scams I just can't
> get a hold on.
>
> So I was thinking if there were a published list of stock symbols that are
> currently being spammed I could add them to my blocked keyword list either
> through script or manually as they reach a certain level.  I was thinking
> along the lines of the way dshield monitors ports for scan activity.  When
> we see a port start becoming a target we see it and can react quickly.

A lot (most) of these nowadays are GIF images - not blockable using
normal regexps/filters. We run dspam (an advanced Bayesian statistics
filter) on our MTA and it gets 100% of these after training with a few
of them.

The Thunderbird 2 (beta 2 is now available for Windows, Mac and Linux)
might be effective, too.

> Does anyone know if something like this exists or how it might be
> implemented?

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw