[Dshield] Somewhat OT -- bouncing e-mails -- help needed

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Sat Jan 27 22:49:59 GMT 2007

Hi folks:

I am totally at my wits end here on this:

Our administrator and some of our teachers use outlook e-mail
distribution lists a lot, and we have been having a LOT of trouble with
bouncing e-mails.  The bounce pattern is totally random -- I used a list
of names that he sent me and sent out 2 messages about half an hour
apart - I got DIFFERENT bounces than he got.

Our server is a windows 2003 server exchange (part of active directory)
which we host ourselves, and is physically located on our premises.  As
far as I know its clean (who can be sure with windows) the bounce
messages are predominantly 550 relaying denied messages, ive included 2
below (addresses removed to protect the innocent)

We (and our ISP) have checked the block lists setc, and we are finding
nothing there.  Im fresh out of ideas and could really use some help /
guidance etc