[Dshield] Dead hard drive disposal

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Thu May 24 04:34:41 GMT 2007

What you guys are looking for is called a Degausser.

Here are some examples.

http://www.periphman.com/degaussing/tape-degaussing/degaussers.shtml

Note to the "Saturate via speaker" crowd. There are many on this list
who are laughing while rolling on the floor. If that's your method, "All
Your Base are Belong to Us"! An organized additional magnetization can
easily be inverted as bias to recover the underlying data, unless you
have oersteds of the order of those produced by an MRI (which, btw is a
varying magnetic field, and a very good way to scramble magnetic data).

P.S. You'd be surprised how well metal particles survive fire, and
despite "heat demagnetizes" how some order remains in the chaos.