[Dshield] Dead hard drive disposal

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Sat May 26 21:49:31 GMT 2007

There is a (big) difference between welder types.  I think you would be
all day slagging an HD with an arc welder.  Since parts of it are non
conductive amperage alone wouldn't do it.  Oxy Mapp is my choice.  Too
many safety issues with using and storing acetylene.  As stated you
really want to have knowledge of your gear.  A large rosebud throws
enough heat to actually set a human on fire.  Not a good choice for a
household with children.  Don't keep the equipment in a garage attached
to your house.  Many local community colleges offer intro to welding
courses.  So too do many welding supply stores.  Take the course before
you buy the equipment.  In fact take two or three courses for a more
balanced approach.  (Strangely some welding store courses will always
push the gear they just happen to sell as the best gear to buy.)  Taking
the free intro course from a local supplier, and the generic community
college course is a good beginning.  Enough off topic.  Later.