[Dshield] CNN?

WebMaster at Commerco.Net WebMaster at Commerco.Net
Mon Oct 15 21:18:34 GMT 2007

M Cook,

Having read both Johannes and Deb's posts, as regards the URL you
listed below, just be glad the good folks at CNN apparently still use
their own root CNN.COM domain second level and top level names in
their links...

Way too often, it seems, you see link setups from reputable sites who
do not choose to use their own root domain name in links, while
claiming same in the text for the link they are presenting.  I find
*that* really frustrating.

I think many of those cases are generally related to sub contracting
with another company for a specific function (e.g., surveys,
etc).  If one trusts another company enough to send stuff out on
one's own behalf (or actually claim to be one's company), then why
not assign a sub domain in DNS under one's own domain to the other
company's servers under some contract agreement... Then the other
company almost unquestionably has the domain holder's authority
(presuming DNS is not broken) to do whatever it is tasked with.  That
should not confuse or otherwise disturb the masses who notice such
things (including me).

While I understand that it is not always easy to do this in more
complex scenarios (I have run into some related issues to this from
our own travel site and the core engine supplier during integration),
I think that companies should at least try to avoid confusing their
user base in this way.

(Also sorry for my rant.  Hopefully, including a solution with the
rant helps to temper it).

Best,

Alan
TZ.Com - Travel Zippy