[Dshield] Opinions on traffic volume

shashank gonchigar shashank_g27 at yahoo.co.in
Tue Oct 30 13:13:47 GMT 2007

Adding to this a
good traffic monitoring tool would help in communicating with the concerned people in an effective way.

regards,
-Shashank

"Stasiniewicz, Adam" <stasinia at msoe.edu> wrote: For all practical purposes, researchers can do these types of tests with
minimal consequence.  But there is a big difference between what one "can
do" and what one "should do".  From what you describe, it looks like they
targeted your server specifically.  For that reason, they "should" have
asked for your permission first.  Again, not because they are compelled to
by some rules/laws/etc, but simply because it is the "right thing to do".

Going forward, I would first recommend you get some more information on the
exact nature of the research.  If it sounds reasonable and won't put too
much strain on your network/servers, go ahead and allow it.  Otherwise, tell
them to exclude your network from their project.  If they resist, you should
be able to get the contact info of Dean/Director/VP/etc and complain to
them.  Again, law enforcement won't be of much help in this scenario, but
you can bet there is at least one sensible person in the management
structure.

My $0.02,
Adam Stasiniewicz