[Dshield] Spam Surge and funny things with auditors

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Sun Sep 2 00:02:55 GMT 2007

You are all under the mistaken assumption that the purpose of an auditor
is to improve your security and/or catch errors in accounting. Their
purpose is to do neither. In fact, their purpose is to find nothing
wrong, or at least nothing of substance that happened on current
management's watch. They have to find the usual minor things, and it's
OK, even salutary for them, if they find something huge that happened
under prior management and dismissed auditors.

Their sole purpose is to allow those in the exec suite to CYA by being
able to point to the audit if/when the books turn out to be wrong, or
your network gets cracked.

In fact, incompetent auditors are more useful to management than
competent ones. Since they are unlikely to catch anything, they allow
management to spend less on controls.

This plays very nicely into the auditing firms' business model, which is
to maximize profit for the partners by paying the associates as little
as possible. Inexperienced, marginally competent, overworked junior
associates make the partners more money than experienced, well trained,
sharp ones, because they cost less, and work harder, longer hours, in
the usually vain hope that they may get promoted.

The whole auditing and consulting business is a circular game of "the
emperor's new clothes". It works until one sharp tack says the emperor
is naked, but the result is all the populace gets mad at the person who
stated the truth, instead of the emperor.

If you don't believe me. Attend one of the many management oriented
"compliance" conferences, and simply listen to what the execs and
managers are looking for. What they see as "compliance" and what those
of use who would like to be really compliant with the letter and spirit
of regs would see as "compliance" are totally different things.