[Dshield] Undersea cable cuts

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Apr 17 15:50:09 GMT 2008

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:29:06 EDT, "John B. Holmblad" said:

> Also, given the economic value of the world's maritime fleets it would
> not surprise me if the owners of those fleets paid for satellite
> surveillance of them 100% of the time while under way.

Especially in those waters where piracy is a real concern.  However, I don't
recall that end of the Mediterranean as being one of those areas.

Also, it probably depends on whether the owner of the ship is a major
well-capitalized shipping line, or if it's one of the ships that *hopes* they
make enough money on this stop to pay the crew and still buy enough fuel to
leave port....