[Dshield] Undersea cable cuts

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Apr 18 14:32:34 GMT 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:53:01 PDT, Pete Cap said:

> This means, for the conspiratorially minded, that it's really hard to tell an
> attack on the cables from a random event.

"It is of course well known that careless talk costs lives, but the full scale
of the problem is not always appreciated. For instance, at the very moment that
Arthur said `I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle,' a
freak wormhole opened up in the fabric of the space time continuum and carried
his words far far back in time across almost infinite reaches of space to a
distant Galaxy where strange and warlike beings were poised on the brink of
frightful interstellar battle. The two opposing leaders were meeting for the
last time . . . and a dreadful silence fell across the conference table as the
commander of the Vl'hurgs, resplendent in his black jewelled battle shorts,
gazed levelly at the G'Gugvant leader squatting opposite him in a cloud of
green sweet-smelling steam, and, with a million sleek and horribly beweaponed
star cruisers poised to unleash electric death at his single word of command,
challenged the vile creature to take back what it had said about his mother.

The creature stirred in his sickly broiling vapour, and at that very moment,
the words `I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle' drifted
across the conference table. Unfortunately, in the Vl'hurg tongue this was the
most dreadful insult imaginable, and there was nothing for it but to wage
terrible war. Eventually of course, after their galaxy had been decimated over
a few thousand years, it was realised that the whole thing had been a ghastly
mistake, and so the two opposing battle fleets settled their few remaining
differences in order to launch a joint attack on our Galaxy -- now positively
identified as the source of the offending remark.

For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space
and finally dived screaming on to the planet Earth, where, due to a terrible
miscalculation of scale, the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by
a small dog.

Those who study the complex interplay of cause and effect in the history of the
Universe say that this sort of thing is going on all the time, but are
powerless to prevent it.

`It's just life,' they say."

-- Douglas Adams