[Dshield] Certifications: Not worth the paper they are printed on?

M Quibell mquibell at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:38:05 GMT 2008

GIAC certs; I'm sure have some place in the universe, I just don't know what that is. I have a GSE recipient who sits right next to me. Wrote the paper (a brilliant paper btw, I loved it), completed all of the classes and tests. Now he is a one of a handful of people worldwide who have the GSE designation. I recognize the work he had to put into it and the time...It is a great accomplishment.

So now what can he do with it? Well, for starters, he can use the GSE designation in his signature, but that's pretty much it. I can imagine him going to interview with a different job (not likely any time soon) and him saying, "I'm a GSE." and the interviewer saying, "What's that?"

I don't think we need MORE industry certificates. Goodness people- It just causes more confusion! SANS should stay out of the certification confusion, IMHO.

Marc