[Dshield] DShield submission confirmation error?

John Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Tue Jan 6 01:07:12 GMT 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Sam Kuper wrote:

> but my DShield submission reports always come with
> the message, "The e-mail address you used to submit this report from
> did not match the address we have on file."

Johannes:

Is there any way that rejection message can be modified to include the
email address from the report that isn't matching the registered email
address? That would aid troubleshooting...

Sam:

Carbon copy yourself on the submission message, and check the From address
on it against the registered address.

Take a look at hostname masquerading. If you registered
sam.kuper at uclmail.net then something like sam.kuper at gw.uclmail.net won't
work. If root is sending the mail from a cron job, that might be what's
biting you. You might have to go to some effort to send the mail using a
more complex command line that explicitly specifies the From address to
use.

  jhardin at impsec.org    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
   For those who are being swayed by Microsoft's whining about the
   GPL, consider how aggressively viral their Shared Source license is:
   If you've *ever* seen *any* MS code covered by the Shared Source
   license, you're infected for life. MS can sue you for Intellectual
   Property misappropriation whenever they like, so you'd better not
   come up with any Innovative Ideas that they want to Embrace...