[Dshield] Conficker

Steve.Applegate at cityutilities.net Steve.Applegate at cityutilities.net
Thu Jan 22 15:03:59 GMT 2009

I don't think this is "The Big One".  However, from 2.4M to 9+ in four
days... that is worth looking at.

A few more important points:

The patch isn't included in automatic updates.

Replication via USB autorun is a feature.

The payload hasn't triggered yet, and we can only speculate what it could
be.

I'm taking it seriously.  There is a symantec tool for removing it.  Also,
snort rules can be found here:

     http://www.autoshun.com/downloads/conficker.rules

Steve Applegate

Johannes Ullrich <jullrich at euclidian.com>
Sent by: list-bounces at lists.sans.org
01/21/2009 09:55 PM
Please respond to
General DShield Discussion List <list at lists.sans.org>

General DShield Discussion List <list at lists.sans.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dshield] Conficker

Based on what I have heard, the 9M infections are accurate (as
accurate as these numbers go). It is a pretty nasty piece of malware,
in some ways a perfect mix of social engineering and technical
ability.