[Dshield] Conficker

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Fri Jan 23 02:31:35 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 18:14 -0700, Blake McNeill wrote:
> I’m having a bit of a problem buying into this worm as being a
> ‘biggie’ as well.

Well, it is rather viral on a network. We had detected a relatively
large outbreak end of November, coincidentally also in a hospital (like
of the recent new articles of a hospital in the UK). While most of their
machines were patched, some of the vendor machines (like imaging
equipment), which they don't have control over, were not. Made for a fun
week around Thanksgiving.

So, I'm surprised that it only recently got in the news. Since Conficker
had plenty of time, of course the number of infected machines is high
now. I guess you need to let a good worm simmer a bit until it reaches
an infection-base that is newsworthy :)

Cheers,
Frank