[unisog] [dc-sage] Code Red mutated? (fwd)

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Mon Aug 6 21:21:31 GMT 2001

> I happen to know the Microsoft security folks personally, and I can assure
> you that they care deeply and are working very hard to improve.  But
> they're fighting an uphill battle when their customers won't do their job.

	To which I'd reply probably very true (since I don't know the Microsoft
Security folks), but the security folks aren't all nor apparantly an even very
important part of Microsoft. The heaviest uphill battle they seem to be facing
is against the Microsoft developers/marketing people not the users. Take apache
as an example. It runs on NT, last I heard it was around %40 of the deployed
web servers on the net. Seen a worm the exploited apache but not IIS (cross
site scripting I believe hits both although I'm not web expert)? Seen exploit
after exploit against apache? I haven't. To me this would say a reasonably
stable web server isn't impossible. If apparant rampant featureitis was
swapped for product testing and security reviews before shipping by the people
that are supposedly experts they we wouldn't have to be concerned that non
experts don't see the need to patch a product that someone sold them as
supposedly working and one that installs stuff such as iis by default whether
the user knows it or not. I'd also point out that when Microsoft's own update
web site gets hit by the worm is that a customer's fault or an indication that
the product is so poorly implemented that even supposed professionals can't
operate it properly? I know what my opinon on that subject is.
	This is without even mentioning Outlook Distress's fine record on the
email virus front (against for instance Eudora which we mostly run). I'm sorry
but I don't agree that the customer is at fault here (other than by buying
Microsoft, but hey whats a non expert to do? They are the market leader). As
much as I'd like it to be so Unix isn't the answer for the masses either.
I will disclaim that this is my personel opinion on this subject (as I should
have on the last one on this subject). Despite all of this I've been reasonably
lucky. We've had only around 20 or so machines out of our 8 to 16 thousand
machines (depending on whether you include our dial up users or not some of
whom have been infected) but its still a pain in the butt. I hate to think
what would be happening if we were a heavily Microsoft campus.