[unisog] Cost of the worm......

Paul L Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Aug 10 16:45:48 GMT 2001

--On Friday, August 10, 2001 9:02 AM -0400 Gary Flynn <flynngn at jmu.edu>
wrote:

> Assuming their AUP doesn't prohibit servers, this is another example
> of the innocent being punished because of the actions of the guilty.
> The guilty who released the worm and the guilty who don't maintain
> their computers.

Which seems to be the only effective way to put a stop to this sort of
stuff.  (Think RBL, UDP, etc.)  Unfortunately, when you get connectivity
from a network that allows "rogue" individuals to run around amok creating
havoc, you sometimes have to suffer for their misdeeds.

Hopefully, the innocent will get irritated enough to move to a better
provider, and the provider will then get the message.

> I think CodeRed in its present form should be called "evolve". I find
> myself sometimes wishing that someone would release "die" or "extinct"
> for those servers that still aren't patched after weeks of high profile
> media coverage.

<aol>me too</aol>  What I can't fathom is how you could not know that your
servers are spewing junk all over the Internet, but that is apparently the
case.

Paul L. Schmehl, pauls at utdallas.edu
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
Supervisor, Support Services