[unisog] HP Printers and Code Red

Doug Nelson nelson at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Aug 3 19:59:48 GMT 2001

> We are continuing to see some of our HP Printers dump memory when "code
> red" hits their port 80.
>
> We already know that on firmware ?.07.03 or greater we can:
>
> Telnet to printer
>
> type: ews-config: 0
>
> and this will disable port 80...
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what can we do with the
> older printers?  For instance a LaserJet 5000 with Firmware G.05.35 -

We're moving many of our printers to private IP's.  I would assume you're
like many of us, with no campus-wide firewall, and limited filtering.
You might be able to get your net admins to set up some local IP's for you.

Doug Nelson			nelson at msu.edu
Network Manager			Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory
Michigan State University