[unisog] Creating standard edu policies

David Brumley dbrumley at rtfm.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 6 18:10:36 GMT 2001

I think I would answer no.  Each university has a different set of
lawyers who look at the policies in terms of liability.  Each is going
to have their own idea as to where the ToS/AUP should protect the
university, and where it does not.

I don't believe most universities have even considered whether or not
they fall under the ISP clause of the DMCA.

In other words, technology is not necessarily the entire motivation
for policies.  I have seen at most conferences, however, tutorials on
what you should consider in your policies.  Those tutorials often
appear under the guise of "legal issues".

-david

--
David Brumley - Stanford Computer Security -   dbrumley at Stanford.EDU