[unisog] Educating Users

Paul L Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Aug 10 16:55:42 GMT 2001

I found the discussion about educating users fascinating, especially Gary's
R.U.N.S.A.F.E program.  I think I'm going to have to steal it. :-)

I also enjoyed the discussion about internet "driver's" licenses and the
licensing ideas in general.

I know the car analogy isn't a one to one correspondence, however there are
some striking similarities.  If you think about it, drivers licenses didn't
come out for some time after cars were already being routinely used.  Also,
road laws (speed limits and the like) didn't come about immediately.  Cars
have been around over 100 years, but desktop computers have only been
around commercially for about 20 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see laws passed to control "traffic", require
some proof of operator ability and the like.  Perhaps even "commercial"
licenses for the pros, network certification to verify that a network will
operate responsibly before it can connect, etc., etc.

I like to think about these things because it is my hope that "we", the
users of the Internet, can solve some of these problems jointly before the
governments step in and do it for us.  We all know how well governments
work at regulating things and how efficient they are at getting things done
in a sensible manner. :-)

Paul L. Schmehl, pauls at utdallas.edu
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
Supervisor, Support Services