General Network Security Questions

Hallqvist, Christian christian.hallqvist at id.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 22 15:52:08 GMT 2001

                Hi all

        I work at the federal institute of technology Zuerich (ETHZ) in
        Switzerland. Currently I am involved in a Project regarding
security
        at the network level and wonder what kind of security measures
you
        have integrated in your university network.

        The question is rather general (considering wireless networks,
        modem pools, VPN and other types of headaches).

        I would be very happy to know what basic infrastructure you
        use for the network security:

                Do you use firewalls, ip-filtering, proxying, IDS or
anything
                else?

                If used, how restrictive configured ?

                What kind of authentication methods do you impose on
users
                externaly accessing the network?

                Are you satisfied with your configuration?

                Do you or did you have any severe tradeoff conflict
                like performance vs security vs openess?

                Do you plan improving/changing your configuration in
near
                future and if so what do you plan doing?

        Thank you very much in advance & best regards,

        Christian Hallqvist

--
|ETH Zentrum       |E-mail:hall at id.ethz.ch|Christian Hallqvist        |
|Haldensteig 5     |Office:HAW G 25                |Netzwerksicherheit|