[unisog] How often to pull anti virus updates from vendors

Greg Francis francis at gonzaga.edu
Wed Dec 5 16:21:39 GMT 2001

We use NAV Enterprise which allows use to create an internal LiveUpdate
server. We update that server's definitions every two hours. From there, the
workstations pull the updates at least once a day. Since the workstations
are pulling off an internal server, there is no performance hit to our
Internet connection. I also find it to be faster and the connections more
reliable than connecting directly to Symantec. Clients can also pull an
update anytime the user manually invokes it.

We're just now doing a managed/pushed rollout of NAV. This allows us to push
the updates from a central location rather than relying on our users to do
it or setting up LiveUpdate to do it to frequently.

We currently have around 1200 workstations on the main network so our hit
isn't nearly as bad as what it would be for a large university.

Greg

on 12/5/01 7:33 AM, Harris, Michael C. at HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu

--
Greg Francis