[unisog] How often to pull anti virus updates from vendors

Paul L Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:46:09 GMT 2001

I think the new worms are a testament to the uselessness of reactive
technology like antivirus software.  At UTD, we simply bounce mail which
has attachments with extensions on our "banned" list.

So far, we've had one BadTrans.b infection and no Goner infections.  In
November, we had five infections campus wide; four Funlove and one
BadTrans.b.

When something new like Goner comes out, I don't give it much thought
frankly.  I can't recall the last time a virus impacted our campus in any
significant way.

Paul L. Schmehl, pauls at utdallas.edu
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
Supervisor, Support Services