[unisog] token based access (WAS: Re: [unisog] VPN Protection of Wireless Networks)

Paul L Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Dec 18 01:17:37 GMT 2001

Our cards have a chip and a mag stripe.  You can store "money" on the
cards, so they can be used in vending machines, to open the gates in
restricted parking lots, to open doors in restricted areas, to be part of
an authentication scheme, etc.

Right now we're using them for parking lots, vending machines and like a
debit card in the Comet Cafe (Pizza Hut, Subway, etc.).  The future plan is
to use them with card readers as part of the authentication process and
replace our present keycard entry system with them.  For authentication,
you'd swipe the card and then put in your id and pass to get in.

Peter is right.  They are not cheap.  But UT System mandated them, so we
had no choice.  I don't know the exact numbers, but it was well into the
six figure range.

We also had to create a SmartCard department, complete with a manager and
one employee (12,000 students, 2000 staff/fac).  And our network admins
spent significant time helping that department set up their servers,
because they had no technical expertise.

There aren't any batteries in these cards.  Just a programmable chip with
your ISO ID in it.

--On Monday, December 17, 2001 10:25 AM -0800 Peter Van Epp <vanepp at sfu.ca>

Paul L. Schmehl, pauls at utdallas.edu
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/