[unisog] Tracking down network offenders

russell R.FULTON at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 19 23:07:05 GMT 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 03:27, MVick at mail.uttyl.edu wrote:
>      I am interested how Universities track down and respond to network
> complaints from outside the University.  For example:

Our procedures are very similar to those expounded by Peter, Paul and
Larry.

1/ use argus logs to verify incident.
2/ acknowledge or disclaim the incident to the complainant
3/ track down offender and either clean up or discipline.

Our security policy states that departments must have proceedures in
place to identify who is responsible for any network traffic.  In most
cases we don't have too much trouble figuring out who did what.

That said, we have very little trouble from our students, either they
are very smart or they know that everything is logged and that they will
get caught.

Cheers, Russell