[unisog] web based user interfaces

Eric Pierce epierce at usf.edu
Mon Dec 3 19:50:49 GMT 2001

We've been using IMP for over 2 years, and have been very pleased with
it.  I'll agree it's not the easiest program to install, but it's not
the worst I've ever done, either.  It's definitely worth the effort.

IMP 3.0RC2 has built-in Email filtering, it's like the rules in Outlook
however, working on messages when you login to IMP, not as messages are
accepted, like procmail.  I would rather have a web-based interface to a
.procmailrc file, but for most users, IMP's filter are fine.

We've been using Lyris for about 3 years.  It's been a decent product,
except for the search function.  It's basically non-functional for large
sites (we've got around 500 lists and 50,000 subscribers).  We're
running Lyris on a dual-proc E450 and it slows to a crawl when the
full-text searching is turned on.  I've been told the SQL-based version
handles this much better, however.

-Eric