[unisog] The old smurf attack and router filters

Gene Rackow rackow at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 3 23:17:05 GMT 2001

The fact that the address the person was given is not a broadcast address
needs to be taken into account.  The ISP is not doing anything wrong, and
the fact that they are using ALL of the addresses they can is just good
business practice on their part.

Granted the user could try to get another address, but if the ISP is doing
dynamic allocations, chances are he's going to get another address in your
forbidden range at some point in the future, or someone else will.

Yu might want to consider changing your filters to only deny ICMP traffic
to the 0 and 255 addresses, and therefore remain smurf free, yet allow
people with those addresses to get to your web, mail, and other services.

If you are preventing the IP directed broadcasts from entering your net,
then you should not be storming some other site, unless you have much
bigger problems anyway like someone on your site being the cause.  This user
is only one of many people that may be getting hit by these restrictions.
You don't really know how many there may be since you prevent them from
contacting you via the net the failures wont' appear in any of your logs.

-_Gene

John K Lerchey made the following keystrokes: