[unisog] Xbox: making up MAC 00:50:F2:* and IP address 0.0.0.1

Curtis Kline ckline at housing.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 4 17:06:48 GMT 2001

Not too sure about your strange mac and IP addresses, but here's a few
tidbits on how xBox gamers may be using their "equipment".

First, Microsoft isn't supporting broadband play until Fall 2002 [
http://www.xbox.com/support/default.htm ]

So, industrious folks have come out with ways to convince their xBox
that it is on a local net with some other, much more remote, xBoxes...
thus allowing for multiplayer use over the Internet.

Here's a couple of currently popular ways, one using Windows XP VPN
functionality, and one using RedHat Linux as a "bridge" of sorts.

http://mrhack.realgamers.net/
http://www.xboxgw.com/

One question... how did you determine that your 00:50:F2 traffic was
coming from a single machine? Sure you don't just have a group of people
trying to play xBox games across your net? I'm assuming 00:50:F2 is a
legitimate prefix for xBox, since it is registered to MS.

Curtis