[unisog] web based passwords

Brian Reilly reillyb at georgetown.edu
Fri Dec 7 14:55:16 GMT 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Lance Gjerstad wrote:

> We have a large number of users who use our Unix system for e-mail, but
[...]
>  We'd prefer if the CGI script could become the user
> without having to be suid root, but it doesn't appear that Unix allows this.

Lincoln Stein wrote an article in The Perl Journal #10 (Summer 1998) about
a CGI script for exactly this purpose; it provides the user with a web
form to change their Unix password.  Using the chat2.pl library, the
script calls 'su' and runs 'passwd' with the privileges of the remote
user.

We were able to get this working fairly painlessly but wound up not
putting it into production.  The article (with source code) is online at
http://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol3_2/tpj0302-0006.html.  Alternately,
you can browse or buy back issues at http://www.tpj.com but it appears to
be *very* slow at the moment.

--Brian