[unisog] Does anyone explain me why...

Lance Gjerstad lgjersta at kettering.edu
Fri Dec 7 15:05:21 GMT 2001

This one actually has a lot more to do with history than with computing.
 With the importance of cyrptography to any number of potential threats
to the US, a law was made that it was illegal to export computer
programs or equipment that used a level of encryption that could not
easily be broken on a government supercomputer.  In October of 2000, the
Beureau of Export  Administration amended this restriction to allow
export to the 15 members of the EU and a few other specified countries.
 The reason this site doesn't let you download is that this new policy
is relatively new, and the site has probably not been updated to handle
this new policy.  If you're interested in learning more about this, Take
a look at www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/10Oct2KFactsheet.html  You might
want to just send an e-mail to the webmaster on this and have him update
things.

Lance Gjerstad
Intermediate Unix System Administrator
Kettering University