IT/IT Security and your organization chart

Peter Burkholder pburkholder at pobox.com
Wed Dec 12 04:21:50 GMT 2001

Hello,

I'd like to conduct an informal poll of Unisog participants on what
representation IT & IT security gets within management at your respective
institutions.

Context: I'm a finalist for the IT manager post with a university research
lab.  I know that currently IT is not represented at management meetings. In
my last position IT fell under a much broader "Resources Division," the
director of which represented IT in management meetings.

I'm of the opinion that IT should rank up with physical facilities, finance,
human resources, development, and so on within management, especially since
the computing and network environment impacts every one of those areas, and
is key to the success of education and research. (I doubt I'll hear much
disagreement on this list). Furthermore, computing security policies need
support from the top to be successful.

Although I know that most business entities now have a CTO, I don't know how
commonly university and research institutions see IT represented up top.  I'd
like to push for IT being bumped up in this new position, but my case would
be helped if I had some relative numbers.

So here are my questions:

1) At what level is IT represented within management at your
school/lab/university?