[unisog] large volume of files per filesystems

Sylvain Robitaille syl at alcor.concordia.ca
Fri Dec 21 18:39:57 GMT 2001

Jim Ennis wrote:

> I am looking for any working solutions for having to hold 6-10,000,000
> files in a single filesystem (webct).

AdvFS (the Advanced File system on DEC/Compaq Unix) works for us.  We
had WebCT on Linux's ext2fs a few years ago, and the number of files was
just killing it.  We switched to an AlphaServer with AdvFS, and it has
been working well for us since.

Mind you, We're looking at "only" 3,000,000 files at the moment, and
that takes > 8 hours to back-up to a local DLT drive.  AdvFS does have
a "snapshot" facility (clonefset), which could be used to 'freeze' an
image of the filesystem, and then that image could be copied to tape in
whatever amount of time it takes to do...

I hope that helps...

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Systems analyst                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada