What are doc.bin files?

Barbara Inzina binzina at mbl.edu
Wed Jul 18 21:30:21 GMT 2001

People here are starting to get email attachments with file names that
end in "doc.bin".

They are having trouble reading them.  They appear to be Word documents,
but the ".bin" confuses some of the email client programs.
Surfing to find out what they are, we found at least one web site that
said:

"The file has been called guide.doc.bin to help ensure reliable download
using a web browser, but after downloading you should rename the file
guide.doc)"

Does anyone know what this is?   Was I asleep while a new technique for
encoding attachments was invented?

--
______
Barbara Inzina