IDS "tap"

Curt Freeland curt at grumpy.cse.nd.edu
Thu Jul 19 15:53:43 GMT 2001

My lab network connection is about to be upgraded fro 10-HDX to 100-FDX.
I started thinking about how to implement my IDS tap on the new network...
Right now, I just have a "dumb" hub in the link.  This creates a collision
domain for the uplink.  I'd like to eliminate this.

I have not looked for one in a year or so, but does anyone know of a
commercial product that would let me "tap" the new 100 Mbit link
without creating a collision domain?  I'd hate to have to buy a
Cisco switch, and put one port in SPAN mode just to see the traffic
on this link!  I have not seen any el-cheapo switches that allowed
anything similar to "span-mode" operation (but again, I have not been
following product announcements for the past 18 months).

Thanks,
--curt

Curt Freeland (curt at cse.nd.edu) GCIA #0223
Director of Facilities, Computer Science and Engineering Department
323A Cushing Hall,  The University of Notre Dame
Voice: (219) 631-5893 / FAX: (219) 631-9260