Strange packets?

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Thu Jul 19 20:21:13 GMT 2001

I've been running argus (1.7) for close to a year now.  I found that
it would crash once every few weeks, so I wrote a 'driver' that would
monitor it, log a message and restart it if it would ever crash.

Well, the past few days, I've been seeing it crash dozens of times
an hour...  Starting at suppertime...

I suspect that some strange types of packets are overflowing buffers
and screwing things up.  I'm also suspecting that these packets
are related to some kind of attack/probe/exploit/etc.

Is there some kind of thing using some weirdly-formed packets going
around these days?

Do I remember reading here about an argus mailing list?

--
Pete Hickey               |                         |       VEIWIT
Communication Services    | Pete at mudhead.uottawa.CA |   Makers of transparent