Unanticipated side effect of .ida worm

DelVecchio, Anthony R. ARDELVECCHIO at stthomas.edu
Thu Jul 19 23:10:43 GMT 2001

Now that things are under control, I thought I'd mention the side effect
that kicked the whole thing off me today.

I started receiving reports from our Helpdesk that our HP 4000TN's were
being reset and required a power cycle in order use them again (HP
apparently builds in a web server apparently didn't like this either).  This
happily coincided with the time the worm started. As soon as I blocked all
incoming port 80, we no longer had this problem.

Tony DelVecchio
Network Security Manager
University of St Thomas
St Paul, MN USA