[unisog] What Email Attachments Do You Block?

Julie Ranada ranada at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Jul 23 17:25:01 GMT 2001

Rather than selectively blocking email attachments, we've adopted a policy
of renaming attachment files using the renattach filter in partial mode.
For example, a file called innocent.doc.pif will be renamed as
innocent.doc_pif.xxx.  This:

-Relieves me of the burden of worrying about overblocking & underblocking;
 just let 'em all through

-Improves user consciousness & vigilance with re opening attachments.  Now
 they can't come running to me and say they accidentally double-clicked on
 it.  They have to consciously rename the file before it can do any harm.

-Provides an additional line of defense against latest viruses which our
 antivirus software may not yet be up-to-date enough to catch.

Simplistic, yes, but as a poor department, we don't have the resources to
attack the problem more aggressively.

My $.02.
-Julie