KaZaA...some interesting data

Neil Long neil.long at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 21:25:54 GMT 2001

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:27:42 -0400 Rob Bird <RobB at housing.ufl.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > We chose to add KaZaA to our outbound filters today, and here is a quick
> > summary of the amount of hits we were receiving. If these don't suprise
you,
> > look at your residence hall traffic again =):
> >
> > Within 5 minutes of placing the filter:
> > Out of 1377855 outbound packets, 482823 outbound KaZaA packets blocked
> >

> Ouch!
>
> What port numbers does it use?
>
> Russell Fulton, Computer and Network Security Officer
> The University of Auckland,  New Zealand

If anyone is seeing disproportionate outbound it is worth looking for
evidence of 'edonkey' having been installed.

No specific port numbers (there are defaults) to block so you have to resort
to acceptable use policies.

edonkey splits files up across participants - so even if one user puts up a
few megs of mp3s it can end up with the same user hosting gigabytes of
'slices' of other users videos, etc.

Try a Google search for the client site.

regards
Neil