[unisog] Ida /code red worm veriation

Williams, Bob WilliamsRB at mail.vmi.edu
Fri Jul 20 18:06:36 GMT 2001

Jay,

We had one IIS server affected, and in the same way you describe.  It is a
DEC Alpha processor based unit.  Microsoft stopped supporting Alphas a few
patch releases ago, so that machine got bitten.

Our NT expert eliminated the worm on the Alpha box by unmapping the IIS
Applications Mapping for .idq and .ida index files.  In W2K, from Internet
Services Manager, you highlight the server name in the Tree box, right click
properties, under Internet Information Services you Edit Master Properties
for WWW service, then under Home Directory you click Configuration, then you
remove Extensions .ida and .idq from the Application Mappings.  Win NT 4 is
more clumsy, but follows the same basic logic.  Reboot when done.

Doing this kills your web applications that need idq.dll, but if there's
some trouble installing or obtaining the MS patch, at least you can get your
server running again sans red worm in a "dumbed down" configuration.

Bob Williams
UNIX/Network Security Administrator
Virginia Military Institute
Information Technology