[unisog] What Email Attachments Do You Block?

Jose Nazario jose at biocserver.BIOC.cwru.edu
Mon Jul 23 20:58:01 GMT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Greg Francis wrote:

> I have Exchange servers on the back-end with a couple of Sendmail
> servers handling all inbound mail before passing the messages off to
> the Exchange servers. I would like to apply the filtering at the
> Sendmail layer because I also have Unix servers handling mail for
> students.

the procmail sanitizing ruleset works amazingly well.

http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/sanitizer-download.html

stops most major email viruses without specific rules, even. you can, of
course, tweak it as far as you want it. i usually have it defang possibly
bad things (ie .vbs files) and kill obviously bad things (ie .jpg.exe
files) ...

enjoy

jose nazario						     jose at cwru.edu
	      	     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
				       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)