[unisog] Tool to find ssh attacks in argus logs

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Nov 5 19:54:10 GMT 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:27:13 -0500 (EST) Chris Hallenbeck
<cthallen at binghamton.edu> wrote:

> Russell,
>   Do you (or anyone else) have a Snort, or snort-like, compatible IDS
> signature for this particular attack?

I asked this very question on the snort user's mailing list last week
but received no replies.  I assume the problem is that the data stream
is encrypted and the finger prints that could be used by NIDS are
therefore hidden.

Encryption is indeed a two edged sword!

Hmmmm... Does the ISS NIDS have rules for this attack?