[unisog] Chronicle of Higher Ed. article on NetPD

Paul L Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Nov 7 21:33:26 GMT 2001

We use NAT in the residence halls.  That's even worse.  At the present time
we have no way of verifying who was using a particular IP at a particular
time.  So, even if we could ID the user, by the time we did that (by
grepping logs for MAC addresses associated with an IP - if the user is
still online - there's no logging) and associated their IP/MAC with a name
and physical location, they could be in class/eating/at the library/you
name it.

--On Wednesday, November 07, 2001 2:00 PM -0600 "DelVecchio, Anthony R."

Paul L. Schmehl, pauls at utdallas.edu
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
Supervisor, Support Services
The University of Texas at Dallas