[unisog] off-topic: sendmail problems

Jose Nazario jose at biocserver.BIOC.cwru.edu
Wed Nov 7 03:20:13 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Russell Fulton wrote:

> Does anyone have a handy script that will take a directory of Berkeley
> style mail boxes and pipe the messages back through sendmail.  I am
> sure someone has already been here before!

formail. part of the procmail package.

(from a friend)

Install the procmail package, if it's not installed already, and use the
formail utility that comes in it:

formail -s sendmail user at new.address < /path/to/users/mailbox

/path/to/users/mailbox will usually be /var/mail/user or
/var/spool/mail/user depending on your particular OS.

hope that helps. it keeps the headers intact, but can otionally rewite the
'to' address, preserving the sender, date, etc ... information.

jose nazario						     jose at cwru.edu
	      	     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
				       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)