[unisog] Chronicle of Higher Ed. article on NetPD

Patrick Darden darden at armc.org
Wed Nov 7 20:49:25 GMT 2001

Seems to me that this article essentially states that you download
copyrighted materials illegally (to find out if there are copyright
violations occurring with downloads of particular files).  Shouldn't you
report yourselves to your own ISP and "cease and desist"?

In addition, as far as I know, you are not a legally recognized law
enforcement entity to claim some kind of international search warrant. You
are accessing individuals' hard drives and downloading copyrighted
materials.  Isn't this a violation of ethical and moral standards of
conduct?  Privacy, personal property, etc.?  And "stealing" from these
individuals--unless you have written permission from them to download
their files.  Do you?  Isn't this the definition of hacking, to "break"
into a computer and copy information?

AFAIK, it isn't against the law to put materials on the internet for
personal private use, it is against the law to steal them (violate
copyright law.) The people downloading MIGHT be violating applicable laws,
but the ones with the materials on their hard drives and on the internet
are in no way. And they are the ones you seem to be "harrassing."

Seems to me your enterprise is an ill-thought out one, morally ambiguous
at best, unethical in its practices, hypocritical, and quite possibly
illegal.

--Patrick Darden (not speaking for ARHS, ARMC, nor any one but himself).