[unisog] Chronicle of Higher Ed. article on NetPD

Mitch Collinsworth mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 7 21:58:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, DelVecchio, Anthony R. wrote:

> The biggest problem I have when investigating complaints, is that I often
> can't easily prove the content currently exists and is publicly available.
> When a third party is using special tools to discover the infringing
> material, I have no way to independently verify the infringement. This is
> necessary since we use DHCP in the residence halls, and even with longer
> lease durations, I cannot guarantee that the infringing host and IP
> combination is still valid.

You can easily tell who had the DHCP lease for the IP in question at
the time of the complaint by looking at the log for your DHCP server.

Unless of course the complaint does not contain the date and time the
alleged infraction was observed.  In that case you have insufficient
information and the complainent can be told the complaint is incomplete
and will be investigated if/when the missing information is provided.

-Mitch