[unisog] Mail Virus/Trojan Scanners

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 12 11:09:50 GMT 2001

Add to your list MailScanner:

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/

which we use here.  Plugs into sendmail and exim, and supports Sophos
(primarily) and McAfee/NAI.

We have good results with it, although we bought boxes specifically for
the job rather than tacking it into the existing systems.  An Exim
director sends mail to the scanners if deemed necessary (currently,
"deemed necessary" is extremely loose, and most mail goes through them).
The product is free, and we already had a site license for the scanning
engine.  Good support from the author too, who is responsive to
suggestions and comments.

A quick independent overview is at:

http://linux.davecentral.com/articles/view/1158/

Jethro.

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Drew Schaffner wrote:

> We are currently looking into options for implementing
> a virus/trojan scanner for our mail gateway running on
> a Linux platform. I would like to get feedback from the
> members of this list on their experiences with the
> following tools, or possibly ones I've missed. Also
> feedback regarding experiences with the actual scan
> engines (Sophos, Trend Micro, NAI, AVP, etc..) would
> be appreciated.
[...]

Jethro R Binks                                   Computing Officer, IT Services
Mailmaster, Listmaster, Webmaster,       University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Cachemaster                                           jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk