[unisog] Brilliant/Kazaa [Was: Comments???]

Rita Seplowitz Saltz rita at princeton.edu
Wed Apr 3 13:56:17 GMT 2002

I am perplexed as to how a customer of any ISP (or, more to the point,
someone with a connection to a campus network) is empowered to authorize use
of available bandwidth by some other entity.    There is implicit
authorization  for bandwidth use affiliated with any file-sharing mechanism,
even "of the old school."  But the inference I draw from Borland's article
is that the potential for bandwidth-drain with Brilliant Digital's scheme is
far greater.

The "about us" page of Brilliant's web site describes the company as:

"A creative mesh of designers, animators, programmers, and entrepreneurs,
BDE¹s reason for being is web-delivered 3D animation. We create the
technology that makes eye-catching 3D on the web a reality, create the
content, and syndicate our popular webisodes, web videos and banner ads. "

A quick glance at their "press room" titles at:

http://www.brilliantdigital.com/press.asp

reveals no mention of Kazaa or of the concept discussed in the Borland
article.   So apparently the concept is not worthy of their own press
release at this time.  Or I missed something.  (Either is possible!)

Rita Saltz
Policy and Security Advisor
Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Princeton University