[unisog] Brilliant/Kazaa

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Apr 3 23:44:10 GMT 2002

I think your best bet is to use traffic shapers.  The
problems with all these peer to peer apps is that they
constantly change ports to avoid blocks.  They even
"tunnel" through port 80 (which you obviously can't block)
if nothing else works.

But traffic shapers do layer 7 packet inspection, determine
what the service is and then control it if it's "on the
list", so the port becomes irrelevant.  We use Packeteer
here, and we restrict all "recreational" bandwidth use to
2MB daytime/4MB nights and weekends.

In the case of state institutions such as ours, I wouldn't
be at all surprised to see the state come down hard on the
"theft" of state bandwidth.

--On Wednesday, April 03, 2002 2:21 PM -0500 Barbara Inzina
<binzina at mbl.edu> wrote:

> So, since our Institution already has in place a ban on
> users "signing away the rights to Institution property",
> can we talk about how to block this mess?
>
> Barbara
> ____________________
> Barbara Inzina
> Network Manager
> Marine Biological Laboratory
> Woods Hole, Massachusetts
>

> "Harris, Michael C." wrote:
>
>> Since when do our individual users have the contractual
>> ability to sign away the rights to University property?
>>
>> If you take the view that our shared computing ability
>> and our bandwidth is a valued resource and is university
>> property, it can not be signed away as easily as a user
>> clicking on an "I agree box" in a piece of software.
>> This never stops the user community but does give us
>> some ground to stand on when blocking this traffic, or
>> forcing removal of this kind of software.
>>
>> I'd be interested in University Policy or legal review,
>> rather than my myopic view from the trenches
>>
>> Mike

>> Michael C Harris
>> System Security Analyst - Expert
>> ITS / Research Education and Support
>> University of Missouri Health Care
>> Phone: 573-882-3392
>>
>> harrismc at health.missouri.edu
>> This e-mail is sent with 99.73% recyclable electrons

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Supervisor of Support Services
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member