Handling Rejected eMail Notifications

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Wed Apr 10 17:26:55 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've been experimenting with various notification methods
and none of them have been satisfactory. I'd be interested
in hearing how others are handling the process.

Do you send notification messages about email that isn't
delivered due to viruses or attachment types?

Do you change what you do depending upon whether the sender
is internal or external?

Who do you send the notification to?

If the postmaster of the sending organization, how do you
determine the sending organization? By the Received: entry's
sending computer's IP address/domain?

Do you notify the apparent sender? If so, how are you handling
mail generated by viruses such as Klez that spoof all the
sender information?

What information about the blocked message do you include
in the notification? Are you concerned with possible privacy
issues particularly if the notification gets sent to the
wrong party?

Do you notify the potential recipient(s)?

thanks,

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services