[unisog] Personal Firewalls

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Thu Apr 11 19:40:56 GMT 2002

I just got a new computer at home with XP Home. I turned on the
included firewall and did a quick external scan and didn't even
see it. Pretty cool for free :)

I think its just a simple, stateful packet filter so it won't
tell people when a remote control trojan or IRCBOT fires up
but I think it will keep the trojan from being accessed from
the outside (assuming the trojan doesn't disable it :) . It
should also protect computer owners who don't know they're
running IIS from Nimda and I assume it won't let people hack
at the C$ share in the Professional version.

Anyone done any real evaluation on it? Next year, all the
new student computers will probably have it available.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.