Automated analysis of Cisco log files

Joshua Wright Joshua.Wright at jwu.edu
Mon Apr 15 12:31:31 GMT 2002

What techniques and tools are being used to monitor syslog files from Cisco
routers and switches?  I have read the white paper from Networking Unlimited
(http://www.networkingunlimited.com/white007.html), and am curious about the
tools and processes in use by other subscribers.

Has anyone written a perl tool to slurp in a log file and generate a summary
report based on message ID's, the number of times they appear and the
devices associated with these ID's?  This sounds attractive to me, but I
would rather not recreate the wheel if someone else has already coded it up.

Thanks.

-Joshua Wright
Team Leader, Networks and Systems
Johnson & Wales University
Joshua.Wright at jwu.edu

pgpkey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD44B4A73
fingerprint: FDA5 12FC F391 3740 E0AE BDB6 8FE2 FC0A D44B 4A73